Taking the Long Road
Jeanette says abstraction reveals moments of infinite possibility, through choosing the path of the unknown. Painting allows chaos to be intuitively choreographed by finding the rhythms and patterns of paint. I often include visual poetry and asemic writing (language without semantic content) in my work. I’m looking for that place in the brain where language has its origin by seeing without looking, writing without reading and moving with intuitive intent. Painting negotiates neural pathways of a language I do not know. Exploring the new field of Neural Aesthetics, it asks the question where is that place in the brain that sets off ideas of beauty? Finding beauty in non-representational art requires awareness in all the senses not just the visual sense. I strive for a painting to make you sing, dance, tell a story, and tingle all over.
Jeanette is a contemporary artist who lives and works in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Theatre Arts with a Dance emphasis from the University of New Mexico. She moved to NYC in her early 20’s and was influenced by minimalism, the power of the human form and the expansiveness of the NYC public library. In New York she continued her study of dance techniques both ballet and modern, but really found the spontaneous power of improvisation. Returning to New Mexico she earned her Advanced degree in Nursing and a Masters of Science in Midwifery. She worked as a midwife and supported her children while studying drawing, painting and printmaking.
- 2017 Workshop Lisa Pressman, Cold Wax Medium Mixed Media
- 2014 Workshop Rebecca Crowell, Cold Wax Medium
- 2012 Surgical 1st Assist University of Philadelphia Pennsylvania
- 2008-2011 New Grounds Print Shop member, (Monotype, Etching, Photo Gravure)
- 2006-present Open Figure drawing sessions weekly
- 1998 SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner)
- 1997 Masters in Midwifery MSN University of New Mexico
- 1986 Advanced degree in Nursing RN New Mexico
- 1979 Bachelor of Fine Arts BFA in Theatre Arts with Dance Emphasis